Friday, August 6, 2010

Kurt Vonnegut in 2002

Here's an amazing lecture titled "How to Get Job Like Mine," given by Vonnegut upon receiving an honorary degree from Albion College in 2002. I tried to see Vonnegut speak one two occasions during his final years, not too long after this lecture. He had to cancel both appearances, due to health troubles if I remember correctly. I'll forever regret never seeing him in person. I picked one of his nonfiction books off the shelf a few weeks ago to peruse (I think it was his final work, A Man Without A Country). His Midwestern wit and lucid insight, his kindness and depth and wonderment... he's surely up in heaven now (watch part 2 below if you don't immediately get that joke).

[I have to say, though, I disagree with him regarding semicolons; I use them a lot.]









No comments: