Just In Time For Halloween: Scary Socialist Nightmares!
Over at Harpers, Scott Horton dishes out the irony:
[Palin's Nightmare Harpers Magazine Online]
"In a speech in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin told the crowd that an Obama presidency would present the specter of a socialist state in which fundamental American freedoms are undermined. Let’s go to the video:
Does Sarah mean a state:
- That snatches its victims off the street, denies them all form of legal process and whisks them away to secret “blacksites” where they can be tortured using all the techniques described in Arthur Koestler’s Darkness at Noon?
- That arrests and prosecutes its political adversaries for imaginary crimes so as to eliminate them from the running in election cycles in which they could do some damage?
- That believes it can detain and hold its enemies forever without any charges or any evidence against them, denying them access to courts to prove their innocence?
- That systematically spies on millions of its citizens in direct violation of a criminal statute which forbids such surveillance?
- That lies to its people about threats from abroad in an effort to build popular support for a series of wars and then cites the existence of those wars as a reason to suppress dissent?
Sarah, you have no need to fear the future."